Monday, September 23, 2013

Politically Incorrect in Real Time


I admire great caricaturists because they can do something fantastic that seems easy but is actually rather difficult for me. While I don't necessarily aspire to be the next Al Hirschfeld or Mort Drucker, I do hope to improve my caricature skills so that I struggle less to capture one's likeness in a drawing.

In the spirit of that mission, I turn my attention to a subject I have attempted before: comedian Bill Maher, who was fresh on my mind after watching his HBO series "Real Time with Bill Maher" on Friday. I feel he is a good launching point because his features seem relatively easy to exaggerate but he's not the cakewalk someone like Edward G. Robinson is.

I actually had attempted to clean this drawing up several times but I'm terrible at cleaning up my own work (I suppose another skill to try to improve) so not only did the piece look stiff and flat, but it looked even less like Maher. So, here he is in the rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment