Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sagittarius serpentarius: a brief look


I think my introduction to the secretary bird was at a young age, seeing King Leonidas's majordomo and soccer referee in the film Bedknobs and Broomsticks, although I didn't know the character was a secretary bird at the time.

I would reacquaint myself with the creature decades later in college when I stumbled across it while searching for a subject for a lithograph I had to produce in a printmaking class. I just found it visually striking and its behavior is fairly interesting as well. Ever since then, I've been fascinated with this elegant raptor.

These are some quick, somewhat loose studies of the bird. The same creature isn't depicted in each drawing as I wanted to focus more on capturing the essence of the pose or emotion and less on consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment